Sammy was never planned. But we loved him like he was an important part of the family. We always had big dogs in the past like Labrador retrievers. A little dog was not in our plan though I grew up with a poodle as a kid and tried to convince my husband that they were smart and great companions. At first he wasn’t excited about Sammy but he quickly stole his heart. After a few weeks, Sammy was part of the family.
|Photo by Mary Heston|
- Though you are small, you can make a big difference. Sammy didn’t really bite but he would steer the other dogs in place. You could never underestimate his ability to get them moving where he wanted them to.
- Sammy wanted to be where you were and whatever part of the house you were in. So when it was night time, he would make sure that he would be the first up on our bed anticipating that we were right there with them. He also loved to be the “sheriff” watching out for whoever passed or came to the door. Boy, couldn’t we learn to be “more present” in our friends' hearts and lives? We could all learn from this. Also, to watch out for those at the door and alert others about who might “prowl” about.
- Sammy was there when I wasn’t feeling my best. When I came home from the hospital after being there for 3 weeks, Sammy and Oscar were right by side.
- Don’t forget to cuddle and in Sammy’s case, show those you love that you love them. He did that a lot. Couldn’t all of us have a little more TLC and cuddling? I know I could.
- Dogs will be in heaven! It may sound strange but I feel confident that we will see Sammy again. After reading Romans 8, I believe that God’s “creatures now alive will be swept away” and I feel I will see all my beloved dogs. I believe that according to Genesis 9:9-15 where God spoke about the animals and he even talked about the covenant he had was also with the animals. When he spoke about Noah and the animals and “all living creatures” being part of a convent that God made when the rainbow appeared and that the earth would never be covered with water again. Most importantly, since God cares about “all his creatures,” and he gave us animals to love and have dominion over, to me I know I will see my Sammy, Oscar, Nellie, Sadie and so many other of my canine friends in heaven.
- Goodbye is not forever. Some day I will see you again Sammy along with all the dogs I’ve loved before… a Willie line that I used in my new dog song.
|We miss Oscar and Sammy but know we will see them again some day.|